1/16/2014

Photojournalism: A photographer-journalist

I disagree with the common definition of the word photojournalist. I have hinted about this in Ninja Journalism, but I am more convinced after reading a post from a Chicago Sun-Times photographer (“photojournalist”) about cutbacks at the paper resulting in this month’s firing of all 28 photo staff members.

First, let me say I emphasize with anyone who looses their job and I particularly feel their pain when it is in journalism because I have been fired in the most brutal and heartless way and survived. It is also concerning to me to hear of such sweeping cutbacks from one of the country’s largest publications.

That being said, I disagree with the definition and duties of photojournalists, at least from the dictionaries and by the largest market publications. Most of us in medium and smaller publications have never experienced the luxury of having to do only one thing well and we in community journalism take multitasking to a spectacular level.

A common definition of a photojournalist is a talented photographer who takes pictures for a publication. My definition of a photojournalist is a talented photographer who is a talented reporter and writer - a true photo-journalist.

Hart believes a person who is a skillful photographer and experienced writer is real as a unicorn and he is dumfounded at the idea of reporters taking their own photographs and doing both tasks at an excellent level.

Concerning the firings and instructing reporters to take pictures, he states:
“Will such moves erode the quality of the news product? Possibly. These new ‘super journalists’ that one hears about may be able to do everything, but none of it is likely to stand out.”

I am pleased to be referred to as a “super journalist,” but I prefer “Ninja journalist,” thank you. And many large market photographers will be astonished to learn we do walk the Earth. I can’t help thinking about the Geico caveman commercials and the advertising guy that learns cavemen do exist. The Cavemen ride motorcycles, date hot girls and take tennis vacations but have difficulty getting respect.

Please read my earlier post Ninjas Have Multiple Skills here.
A link to Rob Hart’s post in Newscheck.com is here.
Share your thoughts and comments at amosnews@yahoo.com.

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts ..
    Photojournalism

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joseph. I let myself get caught up in work and may try to get back to blogging after the elections in November.

      Delete

Search by Labels