9/19/2013

How I Got Started

This is a simple note about how I got started. I hope it shows that enthusiasm, imagination and being around the right people can take you a long way.

Journalism class was the only thing I excelled at in high school, but I was steered away from that field by a lousy high school “counselor” (big emphasis on the quotation marks). All seniors had to make an appointment to see a counselor for directive on going to college and this guy looked at my grades, asked me what I would like to major in and said (I am not making this up) “You’re not smart enough for journalism. You better try of something easier, like P.E.”

After stints at three colleges, retail stores, construction and my own tractor business, I kind of wandered into a newspaper career with childlike enthusiasm and the help of key people who coached and influenced me.

The end.
See you next week.

Here is the longer version:

Millie Thompson, long-time journalism teacher at Arlington Heights High School, Fort Worth, ran journalism class and our bi-weekly school newspaper like a business. I graduated in the mid 70s and by the time I got into a newspaper career she had passed away before I could find her and tell her that I, one of her troublesome students, became an award winning newspaper journalist and photographer.

In her class, editors were responsible for reporters and all were responsible for themselves. Corny stories were not allowed and we did important reporting on students, community, sports and the school district. It would horrify most college and high school journalism instructors, but Miss T did not read much of our work until after it was printed.  After papers were distributed she read the paper silently in front of class from cover to cover, occasionally making a note with a large red marker and shaming anyone who made a slight mistake. “Explain to me, Mr. Amos, why you did not attribute that information…. I am waiting for your answer.”

She was not mean, but she was serious about good journalism. If you made a bad error, she pointed right at you with that red marker and chewed your ass out sternly in front of your peers and then turned and chewed the ass of the department editor and the chief editor, who would both chew your ass out again in the hall after class. Needless to say, we put out an extraordinary high school paper. Thank you, Miss T for planting in me a love for media and journalism.

Years later as president of my community library I began contributing library news to the local paper. I struck up a friendship with the owner and publisher, Randy Keck, and occasionally contributed other news and photos I came across.



Randy Keck is the longtime owner and publisher of The Community News in Parker County who saw my enthusiasm and hired me part time as a reporter. As the paper grew he hired me full time and it was with his coaching and encouragement that I won my first Texas Press and North and East Texas Press Association awards.

After a year at a daily paper I really cranked up my talents and moved into Ninja gear when I went to a community newspaper group in another county. I embedded myself into the community and dug not only covering news, but finding news. I was first hired there as a photographer and was writing features three months later. I soon became business page editor and then main reporter.  After two years I became editor of one of the company's papers and I put a lot of effort into having a rocking front page and relevant content. My goal each issue was to have the absolute best newspaper of all six of our publications, and I racked up more Texas Press and North and East Texas Press Association awards, which in turn sparked me to work even harder.

I met a lot of wonderful people with amazing stories. Thanks, Miss T, Randy and all the co-workers who put up with me over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search by Labels