8/28/2013

Face-to-Face

I prefer to do interviews at a subject’s home, place of business or a location familiar to the subject. This helps the person to be comfortable and open up to me and it allows more opportunities for good pictures and not just ho-hum headshots.
Be respectful. You are on someone’s turf, so show respect for your surroundings and to people and don’t poke around where not invited and. If there are cute kids around, don’t goochie goochie with them but say hello and redirect your attention to your subject.
Be punctual. Get an early start if you are finding a place you have never been before. Even when I am running on time I often give the subject a phone call when I am getting close to make sure they are home and ready for me, “Hi, this is Chris from the paper coming to meet you at 2:30. I wanted to tell you I am 15 minutes away and looking forward to meeting you.”
Be casual... Don’t make it all a question and answer session, but allow the subject to talk and let the conversation go where the subject wants to take it. Be ready to note good quotes. If a subject offers you something to drink you say yes. This will improve your brief relationship.
…but stay on subject. I have had interviews where the subject was happy to have company and the conversation jumped all over the place except for where it needed to go for too long. This is OK for a while, but in time you have to respectfully and tactful get back to the subject, bring the visit to a close and get back to the office.
Don’t overstay your welcome. On the other hand, I have enjoyed the company of a subject so much I had to remind myself to bring the interview to a close and leave.
Don’t be overwhelmed with the awesomeness of a person, their title or the coolness of the story. Remember, they may be awesome, but you are a Ninja.
File the contact information. You may need them again.
Professional bull rider
Pistol Robinson
Stay alert. Look for small details that can add atmosphere to your story, like sound, movement or a reaction to a question.
I did a story on professional bull rider Pistol Robinson back when he was in high school. I met the rising rodeo star at his parent’s ranch-like home on land outside Alvarado, Texas and we relaxed in rustic chairs on his front porch. At one point in the interview I asked the young cowboy if he had ever been seriously hurt bull riding. He looked long and silently at his right boot perched on the rail and painfully flexed his ankle up and down, the heal of his boot creaking against the wood. After another pause he rubbed his boot and said, “I’m always healing up from something,” I described his answer exactly like that in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search by Labels