2/18/2015

Photo editing debate continues

Too much or too little contrast got some photographers
in the 2015 World Press Photo contest disqualified.
I blogged a year ago about photo manipulation for journalism (here). Now, actions by judges of the 2015 World Press Photo Competition have forced the subject center stage.

To manipulate and to what degree to manipulate photos for journalism has been a subject of mine since I first got my hands on Photoshop 4.0 in 1996. One hundred percent of journalist I spoke with said no, no, none whatsoever when it came to the subject of manipulating a photo beyond slight contrast and clarity. However, it turns out about 20 percent of the world’s highest level photojournalist perform various degrees of photo manipulation, and in my opinion much of the other 80 percent do so and lie about it.

No, I’m not talking about Photoshoping  Obama with a stripper on his lap in a bar. I’m talking about artfully improving a photo without altering the information therein.

There are many sides to this saga, so read up and begin drawing your own conclusion.

Read this informative article comprised by The New York Times. The article contains various opinions from nine professionals.

I see points on both sides but continue to stand that some degree of improving a photograph without altering information is not a foul.  A wise quote to consider from the piece is the anonymous photographer stating “…if 20 percent of the highest level of photographers are doing it maybe we need to examine what they are doing and come to accept that as a growth of photography.”

Search by Labels